Part-Time Toronto ACORN Canvas Team
Are you passionate about social justice and want to work alongside other like-minded individuals? Are you an outgoing person with strong communication skills? Would you rather work directly in the community than behind a desk?
Then we want YOU to join the Toronto ACORN canvas team!
What is ACORN?
ACORN Canada is a multi-issue, membership-based community union of low- and moderate-income people. We believe that social and economic justice can best be achieved by building community power for change. We have over 160,000 members organized into twenty-four neighbourhood chapters in nine cities across Canada. Since 2004 we have won several important victories including payday lending legislation, raises in the minimum wage, housing rights by-laws across the country, affordable internet programs, disability rights and more.
Part-Time Job Description:
- Donor Relations: Canvassing to build our base of individual donors by spreading the word on our campaigns (fair banking, affordable housing, internet for all etc) and asking supporters to contribute financially. Donations from community allies help support our membership’s goals, allow us to plan campaigns long-term, ensures sustainability and keep us independent. ACORN doesn’t rely on funding from governments, banks and big corporations. Instead, individual donations are essential to our democratic, grassroots and community-based organizing model.
- Community Outreach: Canvassing in low income neighbourhoods on pressing issues happening in the neighbourhood/city, gathering petition signatures in support of landlord licensing and real rent control, engaging new members, and asking supporters to call their local representatives and/or attend local events
- Phone banking our existing members when there are large citywide events, townhalls and rallies
- Attending ACORN rallies and events as needed
Key Qualifications and Skills:
- No paid experience required.
- Have strong social and people skills.
- Must be willing to work in the afternoons/evenings between 2-8PM after training
- Be self driven and have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Have a positive attitude and interested in fighting for social change!
Job Details and Requirements:
- We are hiring immediately. Training is provided.
- There are multiple positions available.
- This is a part-time, hourly position at $18.15/hr
- 4-5 hour shifts are available between 2-8pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays after training period.
- Training period is 3-6 days of longer shifts between the hours of 12-9pm.
- This is a 2-3 month contract with potential for extension or advancement to full-time community organizing.
TO APPLY: Send your resume and a brief description outlining your interest in social justice and/or why you’d be a good fit for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org