Junior Community Organizer – Summer Student Placement (Toronto)
Posted June 24, 2016
Do you want professional training in grassroots community organizing? ACORN Canada is looking for students interested in social and economic justice!
ACORN Canada is a national grassroots non-profit organization that brings together low and moderate income families for social and economic justice. We are a member run organization structured like a community union, with over 80,000 members organized into 23 neighbourhood chapters across the country. Our goal is to achieve social and economic justice by developing a national active membership that is invested in their organization and focused on building power for change.
- To community organize and expand the reach of Toronto ACORN on local and national campaigns for Fair Banking, Internet for All, Landlord Licensing, and more.
- The job includes: direct door-to-door contact, street outreach, petitioning, follow-up meetings, planning meetings, and actions
- The goal is to help build momentum and awareness for Toronto ACORN’s grassroots campaigns
What We Are Looking For:
- ACORN is looking for motivated students interested in fighting and winning social and economic justice campaigns! We are hiring under the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
- We organize in low-income neighbourhoods and streets with high pedestrian traffic between the hours of 12pm and 9pm (work hours would be between these times)
- Leaders who are willing to work independently in a grassroots setting
- Willing to handle challenging and rewarding work to help grow a national grassroots movement of low and moderate income families
- Opportunity to participate in direct action and social justice campaigns
No experience required. Professional organizing training provided.
Must be a post-secondary full time student in 2016 and intend to return as full time student for 2016-2017
Between the ages of 15-30
$13.18 an hour – 30hrs/week, Start Date: Immediately, End date August 27
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org