Junior Community Organizer – Summer Student Placement (Calgary)
Posted May 20, 2016
Junior Community Organizer – Summer Student Placement
ACORN Canada – Calgary, AB
Do you want professional training in grassroots community organizing? ACORN Canada is looking for students interested in social and economic justice!
ACORN Canada is a national grassroots non-profit organization that brings together low and moderate income families for social and economic justice. We are a member run organization structured like a community union, with over 80,000 members organized into 23 neighbourhood chapters across the country. Our goal is to achieve social and economic justice by developing a national active membership that is invested in their organization and focused on building power for change.
• To community organize and expand the reach of ACORN Canada in Winnipeg on national campaigns for Fair Banking: Fighting to End Canada’s Two-Tiered Banking System; Internet for All: Bridging the Digital Divide; and Healthy Homes: Fighting for a National Housing Strategy
• The job includes: direct door-to-door contact, street outreach, petitioning, follow-up meetings, planning meetings, and actions
• The goal is to help build momentum and awareness for ACORN Canada’s national grassroots campaigns
What We Are Looking For:
• ACORN Canada is looking for motivated students interested in fighting and winning social and economic justice campaigns! We are hiring under the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
• We organize in low-income neighbourhoods and streets with high pedestrian traffic between the hours of 12pm and 9pm (work hours would be between these times)
• Leaders who are willing to work independently in a grassroots setting
• Willing to handle challenging and rewarding work to help grow a national grassroots movement of low and moderate income families
• Opportunity to participate in direct action and social justice campaigns
No experience required. Professional organizing training provided.
• Must be a post-secondary full time student in 2016 and intend to return as full time student for 2016-2017
• Between the ages of 15-30
$13.18 an hour – 35hrs/week, Start Date: Immediately, End date August 27
To apply contact firstname.lastname@example.org