Halifax ACORN Part Time Organizer
Your Job Title: ACORN Part Time Organizer and Fundraiser
Where you will work: Report to Nova Scotia ACORN office daily, work in the field.
Wage: $17.71 per hour
Training is Provided
ACORN is a community action group / union that punches above its weight class. If you want to actually win victories for tenants and working class people – and not just talk about it – ACORN is the place for you.
Recent ACORN victories: Rent caps and eviction protections in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick; anti-tenant displacement policies in Burnaby, BC, lowering internet rates for 100’s of thousands of low income Canadians.
Job Summary: The job of an ACORN organizer is a field organizing position, not a desk job. The job enables you to get active and get out in the communities we organize in. The organizers role is to help our Halifax Organizer in building the organization and winning campaigns for affordable and livable housing.
Four main roles of the job:
- Outreach: Door Knocking, Street Canvassing, Petitioning to bring new people into the organization and then linking them to the existing membership and campaigns.
- Fundraising: Maintain and grow ACORN’s existing base of monthly member dues and donations.
- Learn how to be a community organizer: Work with your Halifax Organizer, and colleagues across the country, to learn the tried and true ACORN organizing model.
Qualifications and Skills Sets:
- Strong social and people skills
- Work ethic and self discipline
- Ability to work in a team setting that you are sometimes leading, and sometimes following
- Listening skills
- Social media and communication skills
- Conflict resolution
Hours and Compensation
- 30 hours per week
- Work afternoons and evenings Monday through Friday and some Saturdays (Semi-Flexible on days work, hours are in afternoon and evenings)
- Room for growth in the organization, full time positions available, we prefer to hire from within
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org