Posted December 21, 2020
Full Time Organizers
Number of Positions: 2
Locations: London, Ontario and other neighbourhoods in Ontario
• Have you ever wanted to be the person organizing in low-to-moderate income communities?
• Do you want to be the catalyst for change members want to see in their communities?
• Do you want to lead our digital campaigns as well as organize in communities in these tough times when low-income people have been the hardest hit as the pandemic rages?
If your answer is yes, read on!
ACORN is currently looking for 2 Full-time organizer positions for London and some other neighbourhoods in Ontario.
ACORN is a community union. Since 2004 ACORN staff organizers have been helping organize communities and secure important victories for low-to-moderate income communities at the local, provincial and national levels. You don't see or hear ACORN organizers in the media, and you certainly will not see them running a community meeting. A real organizer’s role is to build leaders and power in low-and-moderate income communities, not speak on behalf of them.
ACORN is a union in the community. Like any union our members pay membership dues so that they can have a sustainable independent organization to fight for their interest. Part of everyone's job at ACORN is to work to increase our membership and retain out independence.
Before COVID19 organizer’s primary method of recruiting new members was through door-knocking/house visits. Since COVID19, we’ve come up with creative new ways to engage new people into the organization such as street, door to door and online petitioning, and following up with people who attend events and asking them to join their local groups. In addition to member recruitment, this job will include fundraising, organizing virtual meetings, organizing social distance actions/protests, communications/public relations, developing campaigns, cultivating new community leaders, phone outreach, and most of all, listening to the people in the communities we organize in.
Ideal Candidates are:
• Willing to handle challenging and rewarding work to help our membership grow to be strong and active leaders
• Must be willing to work field hours between 12PM and 9PM as we organize predominately when many people are at home
• Passionate about social justice and eager to participate in direct action on issues decided by ACORN’s current community leaders
To better prepare yourself for the interview process, if you are selected, visit our website at acorncanada.org
Job Type: Full-time
The Positions are for three months to begin with possibility for extension.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.