Full-time Community Organizer, London ACORN
ACORN Canada, the nationwide community and tenant union of low-to-moderate income people, is hiring a Full-time Field Director in London, Ontario. This job is a perfect position for someone who wants to learn how to be an effective organizer and make major differences in the lives of all low-to-moderate income Londoners.
No experience is required, but applicants must be interested in fighting for economic and social justice in Canada and be able to explain that in a quick cover letter.
Organizers work afternoons and evenings and receive high level organizer training from people who have years of experience. This is NOT a remote job.
Role of ACORN Field Director
They do direct outreach, listen to community residents’ concerns, and connect what they want to see changed to effective mass-based action. Organizing protests, developing campaigns, coordinating communications and research, and, most important, building powerful local groups all across London!
ACORN is a multi-issue, mass based union of low-to-moderate income people. ACORN’s purpose is to give low-to-moderate income people the power needed to have their voices effectively heard at the highest levels in the country. ACORN is able to be both a local-based union winning local campaigns, as well as a large-scale organization combining forces to fight national corporations and governments that are at the root of most of our problems.
We are a tenants’ union. We are a disability action union. We are a worker’s union. We are a consumer’s union. We are whatever our members are. Our members pay dues so that the organization can be sustainable and not dependent on outside funding from government and corporations. Each dues member has a vote, and only members speak for the organization. Our members get elected to our board of directors and set our policy and help determine the tactics.
Campaign priorities: London ACORN campaign priority is affordable and healthy homes. Too many Londonders are struggling to access affordable housing. Further, many landlords are getting away with no accountability. Tens of thousands of tenants are living with pests, mould, flooding etc. on a daily basis. London ACORN is calling on the city for a RentSafe program that will ensure greater landlord accountability.
The job of an ACORN Field Director is to build and develop formal ACORN Chapters so low-to-moderate income people can disrupt, and change, the systems that negatively impact their community.
There is extensive on the job training provided that allows the individual to understand all the fundamentals on how to be a community organizer. This includes learning how to do effective outreach, strategic research, campaign planning, effective communications, and both internal and external fundraising.
The successful applicant will be joining an exciting staff team at the ACORN Canada.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with existing ACORN members and cultivating new leaders to expand both our neighbourhood and municipal campaigns.
- Develop and expand London ACORN’s membership and donor base.
- Work with our Head Organizer on a day to day basis to learn the basics of ACORN’s organizing methods and techniques.
- 42.5 hours per week – working in afternoons and evenings between 12-9 pm.
- Fundraising and asking for money is a fundamental part of an organizer’s job. We are structured like a union: ACORN members pay membership dues. While this is not the entire job, it’s fundamental that organizers sign up members and can ask for dues and donations.
- Willing and able to travel to training, and staff meetings (some outside of Canada). Usually 3 times a year. **COVID has drastically changed our travel***
- Dealing with multiple tasks in the same day – flexibility and resilience are keys to success.
- Representing the organization in the neighbourhoods, as well as with our leadership at external meetings or events (allies or targets).
Qualifications and Skills
- No previous experience required; professional organizer training provided.
- Have strong social and people skills.
- Be self-driven and the ability to work both independently but also follow direction.
- Ability to listen in order to identify issues that are affecting our people.
Base compensation is $36,829 annually + transportation allowance (approx $90 per mo) + phone allowance ($20 per mo). Raise after 3 months.
Health benefits, five paid sick days, and RRSP retirement program included after 6 months.
Growth – ample opportunities! The Field Director will be responsible for overall management of ACORN in London and will get ample opportunities to grow within the organization.
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com