Field Organizer (BC)
Your Job Title: Field Organizer
Where you will work: BC ACORN office in New West (Columbia Station)
Total Compensation: Annual Salary $39,700 to $43,000
Work Perks: Benefits after 6 months; seniority and cost of living raises annually; paid travel.
Training is Provided: Those with experience are able to start at a higher salary.
ACORN is a community action group / union that punches above its weight class. If you want to actually win victories for tenants and working class people – and not just talk about it – ACORN is the place for you.
Recent ACORN victories: Rent caps and eviction protections in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick; anti-tenant displacement policies in Burnaby, lowering internet rates for 100’s of thousands of low income Canadians.
Job Summary: The job of an ACORN organizer is a field organizing position, not a desk job. The job enables you to get active and get out in the communities we organize in. The organizers role is to help manage our resurgence and expansion in BC and to help us win our campaigns for major tenant law reform and vacancy control in BC.
Four main roles of the job:
- Support our existing campaigns: Work with ACORN’s membership / leadership on their established campaigns by organizing actions and meetings to keep the campaigns relevant and moving forward. The organizer also will maintain and build alliances with our allied organizations to help move the campaigns forward.
- Outreach: Continuous Door Knocking, Street Canvassing, Petitioning to bring new people into the organization and then linking them to the existing membership and campaigns. Fundraising: Maintain and grow ACORN’s existing base of monthly member dues and donations. Manage our medium and long term fundraising efforts from allied labour organizations and foundations.
Learn how to be a community organizer: Work with your supervisors in ACORN’s National Office, and colleagues across the country, to learn the tried and true ACORN organizing model. You will be paid to travel to training and meetings.
Qualifications and Skills Sets:
- Strong social and people skills
- Work ethic and self discipline
- Ability to work in a team setting that you are sometimes leading, and sometimes following
- Listening skills
- Social media and communication skills
- Conflict resolution
Hours and Compensation
- This is permanent employment
- 42 hours per week
- Work afternoons and evenings Monday through Friday and some Saturdays (not flexible).
- Annual salary ranges from $39,700 to $43,000, depending on previous experience.
- Paid Sick Days and Vacation
- Health benefits and pension available after 6 months
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com