Community Organizer for Social Justice!
Posted May 13, 2022
What is ACORN?
ACORN Canada, the nationwide community union of low-to-moderate income people, is expanding our organizing in Ottawa & Gatineau and is hiring full time organizers.
ACORN organizers build power for working class people!
They do direct outreach, listen to community residents’ concerns, and connect what they want to see changed to effective mass-based action. Organizing protests, developing campaigns, coordinating communications and research, and, most important, building powerful local groups all across the National Capital Region!
ACORN is a multi-issue, mass based union of low-to-moderate income people. ACORN’s purpose is to give low-to-moderate income people the power needed to have their voices effectively heard at the highest levels in the country. ACORN is able to be both a local-based union winning local campaigns, as well as a large-scale organization combining forces to fight national corporations and governments that are at the root of most of our problems.
We are a tenants’ union. We are a disability action union. We are a worker’s union. We are a consumer’s union. We are whatever our members are. Our members pay dues so that the organization can be sustainable and not dependent on outside funding from government and corporations. Each dues member has a vote, and only members speak for the organization. Our members get elected to our board of directors and set our policy and help determine the tactics.
Our board’s current campaign priorities include:
*APPLY WITH A COVER LETTER*
- Building/expanding neighbourhood groups by being directly in the communities we’re organizing.
- Work with existing ACORN members and cultivating new leaders to expand both our neighbourhood and municipal campaigns.
- Organizing meetings, press conferences, townhalls, protests, sit-in’s and other direct actions
- Work with our Head Organizer on a day to day basis to learn the basics of ACORN’s organizing methods and techniques.
- 42.5 hours per week – working in afternoons and evenings between 12-9pm. Salary with benefits and transit/phone reimbursements.
- Fundraising and asking for money is a fundamental part of an organizer’s job. We are structured like a union: ACORN members pay membership dues. While this is not the entire job, it’s fundamental that organizers sign up members and can ask for dues and donations.
- Willing and able to travel to training, and staff meetings (some outside of Canada). Usually 3 times a year. **COVID has drastically changed our travel***
- Dealing with multiple tasks in the same day – flexibility and resilience are keys to success.
- Representing the organization in the neighbourhoods, as well as with our leadership at external meetings or events (allies or targets).
Qualifications and Skills
- No paid experience required; professional organizer training provided
- Have strong social and people skills.
- Bilingual in English/French is not required but considered an asset.
- Be self driven and the ability to work both independently but also follow direction.
- Ability to listen in order to identify issues that are affecting our people.
TO APPLY: Email cover letter & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org