Posted August 8, 2022
ACORN is a national, multi-issue, membership-based community union of low- and moderate-income people. We believe that social and economic justice can best be achieved by building community power for change. We are a tenants’ union. We are a disability action union. We are a worker’s union. We are a consumer’s union. We are whatever our members are. Our members pay dues so that the organization can be sustainable and not dependent on outside funding from government and corporations.
ACORN Canada is seeking a Bookkeeper to work with the National office and to support and work collaboratively with ACORN Canada’s local offices across the country. This position reports to the Executive Director.
The Bookkeeper will be responsible for assisting the Executive Director in both managing and tracking financials in a variety of contexts, including accounts payable and receivable; payroll; payment processing; and generally creating and maintaining systems for clear tracking of the organization’s finances. We are looking for someone with excellent clerical and organizational skills who can operate in a fast-paced work environment.
- Process accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Manage bank, credit card, and general ledger reconciliations
- Manage payroll processing and staff reimbursements
- Maintain multiple monthly financial tracking documents
- Prepare cheques, payments, and bank deposits
- Work with local offices to allocate and reconcile expenses
- Ensure compliance with relevant reporting requirements
- Assist with preparation and filing of year-end tax return
- Bookkeeping or accounting experience preferred
- Experience with MS Excel required
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Comfort using technology and data in day-to-day work
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office suite, Google suite, QuickBooks or other accounting software, Adobe PDF, CiviCRM or equivalent)
- Ability to solve problems and work both independently and as a team player
- Ability to manage multiple recurring deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Understanding and commitment to social justice principles
This is a part-time, hybrid position based at our head office in Toronto, Ontario – the successful candidate will be expected to be in the office at least one day per week.
Wage: $17.00 – $25.00 / hour commensurate with experience
To Apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.