Updated May 8, 2019
ACORN Canada – Toronto, ON
Full Time (30-40 hours/week)
Do you want professional training in research and communications for a grassroots community organization? ACORN Canada is looking for young people interested in social and economic justice!
ACORN Canada is a national grassroots non-profit organization that brings together low and moderate income families for social and economic justice. We are a member run organization structured like a community union, with over 130,000 members organized into 20+ neighbourhood chapters across the country. Our goal is to achieve social and economic justice by developing a national active membership that is invested in their organization and focused on building power for change.
We are hiring a young person for the summer in Toronto as a Research and Communications Assistant.
• To expand the reach of ACORN in low and moderate income neighbourhoods outside of cities where we are fully staffed
• To conduct research on key campaign areas in order to improve our ability to fight for change on issues such as Fair Banking, Internet for All, Healthy Homes and more.
• The job includes: research, petitioning/surveying ACORN members and the wider community, developing and implementing communications strategies, and building ACORN's capacity nationwide.
What We Are Looking For:
- ACORN Canada is looking for motivated individuals interested in fighting and winning social and economic justice campaigns! We are hiring under the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
- Leaders who are willing to work independently in a grassroots setting
- Willing to handle challenging and rewarding work to help grow a national grassroots movement of low and moderate income families
- Opportunity to participate in direct action and social justice campaigns
- Familiarity with basic graphic design, comfort using technology and data in day to day work
- Excellent computer and online software skills (Excel, Word, Adobe PDF, CRM, Google docs & Analytics, online social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter)
- Experience with web content management software (Wordpress, Drupal, etc.)
- Strong writing skills
No experience required. Professional training provided.
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
To Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.