Posted April 13, 2022
No amount of rain can stop ACORN members from protesting to #RaiseTheRates and #StopTheClawbacks 🌧☔️🚩
The Ontario ACORN Day of Action had over 100 ACORN members rallying on a virtual zoom, and at ODSP offices in Ottawa, Hamilton, London, Toronto, Brampton and Sudbury!
The current ODSP rates keep people in poverty. Doug Ford, and previous Ontario governments think that they can get away with treating disabled Ontarians as second class citizens. They are guilty of ableism and they’re not ashamed of it.
So Ontario ACORN members hit the streets (including virtual streets) to DEMAND that the provincial government:
- Raise ODSP rates to $2000/month and make it permanent. Tie ODSP rates to inflation
- Raise the employment income threshold to $800 before clawbacks from $200
- Increase the housing allowance to match market rent (based on the city the recipient lives in)
- Stop clawbacks on spousal income and spousal benefits
- Stop the downloading of ODSP onto the municipalities