Earlier today ACORN USA announced that they would cease operating as of April 1st, 2010. We wanted to take this opportunity to assure our members, allies, and supporters that their announcement will have no impact on ACORN Canada's operations
ACORN Canada will continue to operate as normal; serving our membership, advancing our campaigns and providing services just as we have for the last 5 years.
Recent months and years have seen a coordinated political strategy aimed at defunding ACORN USA’s nearly 40 year history of organizing poor and working families for a social and economic justice. We remain proud of our shared tradition and are saddened by the news.
Some of the highlights of ACORN USA's recent history include:
- Ballot initiatives that raised the minimum wage in 4 states in 2004
- Passage of 11 living wage ordinances, and minimum wage increases in Illinois, Massachusetts,
Florida, New York, and the City of San Francisco.
- Legislation limiting predatory lending in Massachusetts, New Mexico, California, New York and
New Jersey, and improvements in federal regulations.
- Agreements negotiated with some of the nation’s largest subprime lenders, including Household
Finance, Wells Fargo Financial, and CitiFinancial, to change abusive practices and provide direct
financial assistance to borrowers trapped in harmful loans.
- Fee reductions on high-cost tax Refund Anticipation Loans sold by H&R Block, the biggest
commercial tax preparation company in the country.
To put the attacks against ACORN USA in context we recommend the following resources:
ACORN’s real crime: empowering the poor
ACORN’s back in the news and the news gets it wrong
Video: Rachel Maddow: The truth about the lies about ACORN
ACORN Wins: A 10 year monetary impact report