Posted February 22, 2019
ACORN Canada is a not for profit made up of more than 130,000 low- and moderate-income member families, in 21 local chapters of ACORN throughout the country, organized democratically through community organizing. We are Canada's largest grassroots community organization for low and moderate income families. We have won many important social justice campaigns like Payday Lending legislation, Renters’ Rights Campaigns, stopping Disability Assistance claw-backs, Raising the Minimum Wage, Internet for All, and more!
Ottawa ACORN offers a Community Tax Clinic for low income households to better serve the community and to create an opportunity for low income people to be introduced to the community organizing work that is happening in their own neighbourhood. After a client’s taxes and benefits registration have been completed, they have the chance to speak with one of our Community Organizers to learn how to get involved.
Duties of the Lead Tax Preparer include:
1) Coordinating Tax Filing Volunteers - Training, Scheduling, and Friendly Quality Control
2) Assisting in outreach and networking to build the Community Tax Clinic for low income households and Benefit Intake Days
3) Understanding the CRA E-file online system and Profile tax software - Training is provided
4) Coordinating the day to day flow of the office and respect the work that other people are doing in the Tax Site
5) Performing tax filing, and leading volunteers by example
6) Collecting and compiling statistics from volunteers for all programs
7) Managing Benefit Intake Days where clients come in and we help them access, register or understand various benefits or forms. Volunteer recruitment, training and scheduling will also be required for these days.
This really is a fit for anyone who wants to work in a fast paced, yet fun and positive, environment. You will work daily with low income people ensuring that all of their tax benefits are received.
1 Part Time position is available during the tax season with the possibility of renewal based on office need and budget.
Lead Tax Preparer hours during peak tax season are Wednesday to Friday 1-8pm.
Apply by email. firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our social justice work as well: www.acorncanada.org