Posted July 16, 2020
New Westminster, BC (Metro Vancouver)
ACORN is performing research that will uncover labour practices during the COVID-19 pandemic that puts workers and the public at risk.
We are hiring one person FT for 6 weeks to perform a survey of specific workers about COVID-19 in their workplace.
COVID-19 has put the entire world at risk of a pervasive and deadly disease, but we all know who among us get infected at high rates – racialized people, front-line workers, women, working class people. Workers are struggling to pay rent, forced to go to work despite risk, mainly in non-unionized jobs leaving them susceptible to unsafe working conditions. This project will reveal these truths, and will help hold employers to account and start the process for workers to be truly protected.
Full Time work as an ACORN Organizer is available after the 6-week contract ends in late August.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with ACORN Canada Field Director and Organizing Lead at the BC ACORN office.
- You will be trained on scripts and outreach techniques needed to reach affected workers.
- Every day you will go to worksites, as directed by your supervisor, and conduct COVID-19 Worker Surveys with workers.
- Manage the surveys after they are collected and enter them into our database system.
- Help with compilation of survey results into a report.
- Report to our office in New Westminster at the start and end of field shifts.
- Work hard for 42.5 hours per week - working in afternoons and evenings.
- Compensation is equivalent to what our field organizers make: $34,523 annually + transportation / car allowance + phone allowances.
Qualifications and Skills
- Have strong social and people skills.
- Be willing to work in a team setting that you are sometimes leading, and sometimes following instructions.
- Opportunity to identify hot issues, develop leaders, organize meetings, rallies, protests, press conferences, marches, and run campaigns.
- No paid experience required; professional organizer training provided.
To apply email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is ACORN?
We are a tenants’ union. We are a disability action union. We are a workers’ union. We are a consumers’ union. We are whatever our members are. Each member has a vote, and only members speak for the organization. Our members get elected to our board of directors and have the authority to set the policy and determine the tactics of the union.
ACORN is workers and communities united, organized and able to effectively fight for what is theirs: Living Wage and Living Allowances, Affordable and Livable Housing, Fair Banking Practices, a right to Public Services like Education, Healthcare, and Childcare, and Equal Pay for Women and People of Colour.
We are a multi-issue, mass based union of low-to-moderate income people. The purpose of the union is to give low-to-moderate income people power so that they have the ability to have their voices effectively heard at the highest levels in the country. With chapters across the country at the provincial and local levels, ACORN is able to be both a local based union, winning small campaigns, as well as a large organization combining forces to fight national corporations and governments that are at the root of most of our problems.