Posted April 23, 2019
ACORN Canada – Multiple Cities
30hrs/wk for 8 weeks
Do you want professional training in grassroots community organizing? ACORN Canada is looking for youth (aged 30 and under) interested in social and economic justice!
ACORN Canada is a national grassroots non-profit organization that brings together low and moderate income families for social and economic justice. We are a member run organization structured like a community union, with over 130,000 members organized into 20+ neighbourhood chapters across the country. Our goal is to achieve social and economic justice by developing a national active membership that is invested in their organization and focused on building power for change.
We are hiring community organizers for the summer - with the potential to lead to permanent positions - in the following cities:
- Metro Vancouver, BC
- Hamilton, ON
- Mississauga, ON
- Toronto, ON
- Ottawa, ON
- Montreal, QC
- Halifax, NS
- To community organize and expand the reach of ACORN in low and moderate income neighbourhoods.
- The job includes: direct door-to-door contact, street outreach, petitioning, follow-up meetings, campaign planning, organizing meetings, and direct action.
What We Are Looking For:
- ACORN Canada is looking for motivated young people interested in fighting and winning social and economic justice campaigns! We are hiring under the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
- We organize in low-income neighbourhoods and streets with high pedestrian traffic between the hours of 12pm and 9pm (work hours would be between these times)
- Leaders who are willing to work independently in a grassroots setting
- Willing to handle challenging and rewarding work to help grow a national grassroots movement of low and moderate income families
- Opportunity to participate in direct action and social justice campaigns
No experience required. Professional organizing training provided.
- Must be between 18 and 30 years of age
Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
To Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please indicate which city you are applying in!